Mulching your garden offers these benefits and is well worth the effort:
- Bark mulch inhibits weed growth and germination.
- Bark mulch helps retain soil moisture and protects your plants from drying out quickly
- Bark mulch moderates soil temperature fluctuations
- Bark mulch protects plant roots from the winter cold
- Bark mulch protects plant roots from the hot summer heat and keeps plant roots cooler
- Bark mulch beautifies landscapes
- Bark mulch adds nutrients to your garden as it breaks down
- Mulches can help prevent soil compaction.
- Bark mulch can prevent crusting of the soil surface, thus improving the absorption of water into the topsoil.